1968 1969 1970 1971 1972   1973              

Commanding   Officers




7 -11 JAN Exercise BEAD STRD1GER
27 JAN –13 FEB Transit -San Diego to Subic Bay,R.P.
21 FEB Paracell Island Survey
22 MAR -6 APR South Search & Rescue (SAR) Station off coast of North Vietnam with USS HALSEY (DLG-23)
1 JUN -11 JUN South SAR Station off coast of North Vietnam with USS JOUETT (DLG-29) 
6 JUL -16 JUL Naval Gunfire Support, coast of South Vietnam 
8 AUG -17 AUG Transit -Yokosuka, Japan to San Diego 
12 SEP CDR A. G. LUSKIN, USN relieved CDR G. V. EIDSON, USN, as Commanding Officer
OCT -DEC SQS-23F Modernization (TRAM) Evaluation by Applied Physics Laboratory, University of' Washington. 



CDR A. G. LUSKIN Commanding Officer
LCDR G. C. FLYNN Executive Officer
LT R. D. HILL Operations Officer
LT W. W. KING Weapons Officer
LT W. E. BUGG Engineer Officer 
LT W. F. BAUGH Prospective Weapons Officer
LTJG J. H. GREEN Communications Officer 
LTJG P. B. VAN CAMERIK First Lieutenant 
LTJG R. A. COOKE Asst Weapons Officer
LTJG J. R. SCHNEIDER Damage Control Officer 
LTJG P. W. PERRY Supply Officer
LTJG S. C. WICKS Navigator
ENS M. S. HYMAN Electrical Officer/MPA 




            USS DENNIS J. BUCKLEY (DD-808) remained in her home port of San Diego3 California for almost the entire month of

January 1968. This month before deployment to the Western Pacific was passed in a period of last minute equipment maintenance and leave for those who could be spared. From. 7 -17 January the ship got underway for a 10 day period to ~ participate in Exercise BEAD STRINGER3 the pre-deployment STRIKE EXERCISE which simulated the Southeast Asia tactical situation in preparation for a seven month WESTPAC deployment. I Exercises were conducted in shore bombardment, plane guard destroyer, high speed surface craft defense, and anti-surface to-air missile defense. BEAD STRINGER became a real test for communication personnel, who handled many times their f normal message traffic.

On 27 January 1968, at 08583 DENNIS J. BUCKLEY began her long voyage, west. The Transit Task Group was TG 17.6" with CO, USS BON HOMME RICHARD as CTG 17.6. CTU 17. 6 .2 was Commander Destroyer Division TWELVE in USS BUCHANAN (DDG-14). Other ships in the transit were USS FLOYD B. PARKS (DD-884) and USS UHLMANN (DD-687). By 1015" DENNIS J. BUCKLEY had passed Buoy l-SD in San Diego harbor and had entered the open sea. Hardly fifteen minutes had passed before the first general quarters exercise was held. The first leg of the transit was steamed with USS UHLMANN (DD-687) in an advance picket station. Amid high sea states" the two destroyers fought their way to Pearl Harbor. The Task Group arrived in the Hawaiian Islands on 2 February. After one day of refueling and replenishment in sight of the monument to the battleship ARIZONA" DENNIS J. BUCKLEY and FLOYD B. PARKS (DD- 884) se t off to Midway Island in advance of the rest of the Task Group on the second leg of the transit. Midway Island was the scene of a brief half-day fuel stop on 5 February. On 9 February we joined USS BON HOMME RICHARD (CVA-3l) and the rest of the Task Group for the cruise's first underway replenishment, with USS PLATTE (AO-24) No more than three hundred feet separated DENNIS J. BUCKLEY from the BONNIE DICK as the ship witnessed the first aircraft launches of many to occur during the next six months .On 11 February, the Task Group passed latitude 160 East and came under the operational control of Commander U. S. Seventh Fleet. The task designation changed to TG 77.8. Another refueling from BON HOMME RICHARD on 13 February, and DENNIS J. BUCKLEY arrived at Subic Bay, Republic of the Philippines on 15 February.

            Next day the ship was out to sea again as plane guard for USS BON HOMME RICHARD, conducting local operations. The first helo detail of the many conducted in WESTPAC was set at 1159 that morning. DENNIS J. BUCKLEY returned to Subic Bay on 18 February.

            On 21 February DENNIS J. BUCKLEY steamed out to the Paracell Islands for an intelligence mission. Electronic, fl as well as photographic, intell1gence was conducted as the ship circumnavigated the islands. The valuable information obtained was forwarded to the Commander-in-Chief, U. S. Pacific Fleet.

            On 22 February DENNIS J. BUCKLEY joined BON HOMME RICHARD on YANKEE Station in the Tonkin Gulf and became Screen Commander.

            On 28 February, as rescue destroyer for the carrier,  DENNIS J. BUCKLEY took off in search of a possible downed pilot joined by USS TRUXTUN (DLGN-35) and USS ZELIMA , (AF-49). Fortunately, the pilot had landed safely in Danang and rescue services were not needed.

            On 9 March the ship returned to Subic Bay once again.  After a period of upkeep and liberty, DENNIS J. BUCKLEY steamed out of Subic Bay on 17 March for ISE, conducting anti-aircraft firing exercises and returned to Subic Bay on the 18th. On 19 March she was underway enroute to rendezvous with COMDESRON SEVEN in USS HALSEY (DLG-23). DENNIS J. BUCKLE as a unit of Task Unit 70.8.7 (SAR Training Unit) then conducted SAR training operations off the coast of South Vietnam on 21 March, A dense fog greeted the two ships as they arrived at South Search & Rescue (SAR) Station on 22 March, to relieve USS JOUETT (DLG-29) and USS SOUTHERLAND (DD-743). COMDESRON SEVEN relieved COMDESRON ONE as CTU 77.0.1/CTE and DENNIS J. BUCKLEY began her duties as escort to the HALSEY on South SAR Station. The coast of North Vietnam was visible from this station.

            After being relieved on South SAR Station by USS SOUTHERLAND (DD-743) on 6 April, DENNIS J. BUCKLEY joined USS ENTERPRISE (CVAN-65) for one day of plane guard duty. Commanding Officer, USS ENTERPRISE was CTG 77.5 and he released DENNIS J. BUCKLEY on 7 April.

            After arriving in Subic Bay on 9 April, the ship joined COMDESRON ONE who was to have tactical command of DENNIS J. BUCKLEY for much of the next few months. It was in Subic Bay that the ship was paid a visit by the Deputy Inspector General of the Navy.

            After getting underway from Subic Bay, 18 April found the ship back on the South SAR Station, this time with USS JOUETT and COMDESRON ONE. Aside from 11 days of upkeep in Kaoshiung, Taiwan from 21 -31 May and a few days in transit, DENNIS. J. BUCKLEY and JOUETT steamed together for 60 days. Whenever JOUETT and DENNIS J. BUCKLEY were not engaged in a search and rescue mission, they conducted exercises and maintained a constant state of readiness for any eventuality. There were many times when the ships set general quarters in expectation of air attack. Extra watches were set when the possibility of hostile helicopter actions existed. The ship left South SAR Station on 23 June after being relieved by USS HANSON (DD-832).

            Five days were then spent in Hong Kong" from 26 June until 1 July, for a period of well-deserved rest and it recreation. No maintenance was allowed in the Crown Colony, a change from the normal routine.

            The ship then proceeded to Subic Bay, arriving 3 July, for ammunition onloading and offloading in preparation for

naval gunfire support operations in the II Corps area of the Republic of South Vietnam. After leaving Subic Bay on 4 July, DENNIS J. BUCKLEY relieved USS FLOYD B. PARKS on 6 July and commenced 10 days of port\and starboard watches necessary for manning all stations during naval I gunfire support as a part of Task Unit 70.8.9. Acting in support of United States and Republic of Korea forces, DENNIS J. BUCKLEY fired over 3,000 rounds of five-inch ammunition while on this mission. 

            From gunfire support on 16 July, DENNIS J. BUCKLEY relieved USS WALLACE L. LIND (DD-705) on 18 July. Commanding Officer, USS DENNIS J. BUCKLEY became CTU 77.6.2 and as such was screen commander providing plane guard services for USS TICONDEROGA (CVA-14). After that one day assignment, DENNIS J. BUCKLEY relieved USS ENGLAND (DLG-22), and the Commanding Officer became CTU 77.0.4 on 19 July. This tour on Southwest Picket Station in the Gulf of Tonkin ended on 22 July.

            From 22 July to 24 July the ship returned to Subic Bay in company with USS CONSTELLATION (CVA-64) as a unit of Task Group 77.1. After leaving Subic Bay on 27 July, DENNIS J. BUCKLEY proceeded to Yokosuka, Japan as a unit of Task Group 77.6 arriving 31 July. Commanding Officer DENNIS J. BUCKLEY was CTU 77.6.2 for the transit.

            1 through 6 August were spent in an availability with the Ship Repair Facility, Yokosuka, Japan, preparing for the transit home as screen commander for USS TICONDEROGA. The Task Group departed Yokosuka on 7 August for the non-stop trip home. The Task Group became Task Group 17.9 on 9 August as it changed operational control to Commander, U. S. First Fleet. DENNIS J. BUCKLEY steamed up the San Diego channel on the morning of 17 August.

            For the next month, DENNIS J. BUCKLEY was moored at Pier Two at the U. S. Naval Station. The crew went on post-deployment leave during this period.

             On 12 September, Commander Arthur G. LUSKIN., USN relieved  Commander George V. EIDSON USN as Commanding Officer in a I ceremony on board. Commander LUSKIN reported from the U. S. Naval War College at Newport., Rhode Island. Commander EIDSON left DENNIS J. BUCKLEY after two years as her Commanding Officer to serve on the Joint Staff., Commander in Chief, Pacific, at Pearl Harbor., Hawaii.

            The week of 24 September, DENNIS J. BUCKLEY was again underway providing plane guard services for USS YORKTOWN (CVS-1O) and USS KITTY HAWK (CVA-63), as well as conducting intraship exercises and loading ASROC weapons at Naval Weapons Station, Seal Beach on 24 September.  

            In October, the Applied Physics Laboratory of the University of Washington began a program of ship's sonar evaluation. The program was to include in port and at sea phases designed to improve shipboard sonar calibration accuracy. On 3 October the in port phase began.

            DENNIS J. BUCKLEY spent the first half of the month of October on upkeep and maintenance. On 14 October, she steamed in company with USS JOUETT (DLG-29) and USS PREBLE (DLG-15) for destroyer tactics and exercises. October 17 saw DENNIS J. BUCKLEY off San Clemente Island requalifying for naval gunfire support, returning to San Diego on 18 October.

            Back in port until 28 October, DENNIS J. BUCKLEY again went to sea, this time for the sea phase of the sonar evaluation. 29-30 October found the ship making the first of many runs on the FORACS (Fleet Operational Readiness Accuracy Check Site) Range in Wilson Cove, San Clemente Island. The next few weeks were to see the ship at the same station. FORACS runs were made on 6-7 November, 12-13 November, and 12-13 December.

            On 23 November, the dependents and friends of DENNIS J. BUCKLEY crew members steamed with their men for the Destroyer Squadron ONE "Dependents' Cruise.” For this cruise DENNIS J. BUCKLEY steamed in company with the other units of Destroyer Squadron ONE

            Underway again 16-17 December, DENNIS J. BUCKLEY served as plane guard for USS KITTY HAWK (CVA-63). Steaming for the rest of the week was cancelled, however, I when the ship I s port shaft was disabled due to a wiped thrust bearing.

            The end of 1968 found USS DENNIS J. BUCKLEY returning to port for a tender availability with USS PIEDMONT (AD-17), in order to correct casualties incurred from many hours of steaming. Leave and upkeep continued until the end of the year.



13 MAR – 20 MAR                       EXERCISE BELL JANGLE Strike EX 2-69 West Co

8 MAY                                           Admin Inspection, Pre-Deployment Inspection

22 MAY                                         Final FORACS Testing

23 MAY                                         SAMID Certification

23 JUN                                           ORI

2 AUG                                            Underway to begin WESTPAC Deployment

21 AUG                                          Chop to Seventh Fleet

29 AUG – 24 SEP                          YANKEE Station with USS HANDCOCK (CVA-19)

3 OCT – 23 OCT                           SAR Station, PIRAZ Gun Ship

18 NOV – 2 DEC                           SOPA ADMIN, Hong Kong, B.C.C.

5 DEC – 22 DEC                            YANKEE Station with USS CONSTELLATION (CVA-64)





NAME AND RANK                                                 BILLET

CDR Arthur G. LUSKIN, USN                    Commanding Officer

LCDR Gerrlsh C. FLYNN, USN                   Executive Officer

LT William E. BUGG, USN                           Engineer Officer

LT William F. BAUGH, USN                        Operations Officer

LTJG Robert A. COOKE, USNR                 Weapons Officer

LTJG Samuel C. WICKS, USN                    Electronics Material Officer

LTJG Thomas G. HARRISON, USN            Damage Control Assistant

LTJG Robert O. KRATOVIL, USN              CIC Officer

LTJG James R. SCHNEIDER, USNR            ASW Officer

LTJG Robert J. KNOERLEIN, USNR           Communications Officer

LTJG Michael S.HYMAN, USNR                  Main Propulsion Assistant

LTJG John B. CARTWRIGHT, USN             First Lieutenant

LTJG Luther L. CAMPBELL, SC, USNR       Supply Officer

ENS John J. GALLAGHER, USN                   Prospective DCA

ENS Stephen J. FLETCHER, USN                Gunnery Assistant

ENS Jarvis G. HILTON, USN                        3-M Coordinator

ENS Bobby J. ADAMS, USNR                      Asst. Communications Officer

ENS William J. WILD, USNR                         Prospective MPA




            USS DENNIS J. BUCKLEY, under the command of Commander Arthur G. LUSKIN, USN, was moored U. S. Naval Station, San Diego, California at the start of 1969. The ship, a unit of Destroyer Division 11, in Destroyer Squadron ONE, was moored alongside USS PIEDMONT (AD-I?) for a tender availability that lasted through the 19th of January. On the 20th and 21st, the ship was underway in conjunction with SQS-23F Sonar Modernization

(TRAM) Evaluation by the Applied Physics Laboratory of the University of Washington. Testing was done in Wilson Cove, San Clemente Island. A second testing period was held on the 31st of January, again in Wilson Cove, following four days underway as rescue destroyer for USS BON HOMME RICHARD (CVA-31).

            DENNIS J. BUCKLEY was again underway on 3 February for type training, in company with USS HANSON (DD-832) and USS FLOYD B. PARKS (DD-884). SOPA and OTC was COMDESRON ONE, embarked in this ship. Following four days of exercises, -the ship returned to San Diego and a second tender availability with PIEDMONT. The remainder of February was spent in port at San Diego.

            A second type training exercise was held 3 through 6 March. DENNIS J. BUCKLEY was underway with HANSON, FLOYD B. PARKS, and USS HULL (DD-945), haL1r~~ffrits of Task Unit 15.4.2. OTC was COMDESRON ONE. After six days in port following the exercises, the ship joined in STRIKEX 2-69 WEST CO--code named BELL JANGLE. As a unit of Task Unit 170.9.9, DENNIS J. BUCKLEY participated in the eight day exercise with HULL. As a unit of Task Unit 177.1.3, the ship operated with USS ORISKANY (CVA-34) and USS JOHN R. CRAIG (DD-885). On 25 and 26 March, the ship was again at Wilson Cove, San Clemente Island, on the Fleet Operational Readiness Accuracy Check Site (FORACS) Range.

            An in port period followed, running from 28 March through 20 April. On 21 April, DENNIS J. BUCKLEY steamed as part of Task Group 178.2 for her second large exercise of the year, COMPTUEX  11-69. OTC was COMDESRON ONE embarked in USS JOUETT (DLG-29). When the exercise was completed, the ship commenced a tender availability alongside USS DIXIE (AD-14) which lasted until 11 May. One day of Independent Ship Exercises on the 12th pre- ceded two days as rescue destroyer for USS CONSTELLATION (CVA- 64) and two days on the FORACS Range. Three more days in port, and the ship returned to Wilson Cove and anchored to conduct source level tests of her sonar. During the period 26 to 29 May, DENNIS J. BUCKLEY participated in COMPTUEX 13-69 as a CO unit of Task Group 178.6 under the tactical command of COMDESRON ONE.

            DENNIS J. BUCKLE'Y' was in port until 23 June. On that date, in company with HANSON and HULL, the ship was underway for her  Operational Readiness Inspection (ORI). Upon satisfactory completion, she returned to San Diego and remained there until her departure for the Western Pacific. An availability with DIXIE lasted the entire month of July.

            On 2 August, DENNIS J. BUCKLEY was steaming on the first leg of .her Western Pacific deployment, accompanied by HANSON, JOUETT and BOYD. The four ships left San Diego Harbor in a diamond formation, steaming under the new San Diego-Coronado Bridge during the opening ceremonies. Early on 3 August, the ships rendezvoused with USS HANCOCK (CVA-19). COMCARDIV NINE in HANCOCK became SOPA. The three destroyers and the guided missile frigate comprised Task Unit 17.4.2. A routine transit was made to the Hawaiian Islands. DENNIS J. BUCKLEY operated independently in the Pearl Harbor operating areas for two days, then moored at Ford Island, Pearl Harbor, on 8 August. During the 12th through the 14th, the ship assisted HANCOCK with her ORI and took part in COMDESRON ONE's COMPTUEX 21-69, departing with the carrier for Guam on 15 August. At 0820 on 21 August, the Task Group chopped to Seventh Fleet, becoming Task Group 77.4. After a short refueling stop at Guam early on the morning of 23 August, the Task Group continued on its westerly course, navigating the San Bernardino Straits on 26 August and entering port at Subic Bay, Republic of the Philippines on the 27th

            On her first WESTPAC assignment, DENNIS J. BUCKLEY steamed out of Subic Bay in company with HANCOCK and HANSON as Task Group 77.4. The Task Group arrived at YANKEE Station on 1 September and the carrier immediately began flight operations with the two destroyers in plane guard stations. DENNIS J. BUCKLEY was given a brief assignment in the II Corps Tactical Zone area of - the Republic of Vietnam for Naval Gunfire Support duties, but did not fire her guns. The ship followed HANCOCK for a total of eight days. On 13 September, she ~as again detached to assist in the transfer of a UP I correspondent to an ATF keeping surveillance on a Soviet trawler. HANSON departed YANKEE Station on 17 September and USS JOHN W. THOMASON (DD-760) assumed duties as Commander Task Unit 77.4.2. On 19 September DENNIS J. BUCKLEY was detached to escort a Soviet trawler thought to be heading west from Hainan Island. The ship intercepted the trawler and followed it for two days. On 24 September, the Task Group was relieved to return to Subic Bay, arriving on the 26th. DENNIS J. BUCKLEY moored alongside DIXIE for a tender availability period.

            On 1 October the ship was underway to relieve, by the 3rd, FLOYD B. PARKS as PIRAZ gun ship on PIRAZ Station. As a unit of Task Unit 77.0.2, the ship operated with JOUETT, USS BIDDLE (DLG-34) and USS MAHAN (DLG-11) through 23 October. A casualty to the AN/SPS-37 air search radar forced DENNIS J. BUCKLEY to leave

SAR Station temporarily. Relieved by FLOYD B. PARKS on 14 October and assigned to Task Group 77.4, the ship plane guarded for HANCOCK until replacement parts arrived on board and were installed. On 18 October, DENNIS J. BUCKLEY resumed her SAR/ PIRAZ duties. She left on 23 October and rejoined Task Group 77.4 on YANKEE Station.            

            The Task Group, comprised of HANCOCK, USS ORLECK (DD-836) and USS MANSFIELD (DD-728), departed YANKEE Station on 27 October I enroute Sasebo, Japan. Arriving at Sasebo on 31 October, DENNIS J. BUCKLEY moored alongside USS AJAX (AR-6) for repairs.

            The availability ended on 8 November with the ship underway for the Okinawa OP AREAS in company with Task Group 71.4--HANCOCK, USS COCHRANE (DDG-21), USS RAMSEY (DEG-2) and USS O'BRIEN {DD- 725). For the first three days, DENNIS J. BUCKLEY acted as rescue destroyer for the carrier. On 11 November, she joined

with COCHRANE to operate with USS MEDREGAL (AGSS-480) conducting ASW Exercise COMMANDO MIRAGE. The ship received a total of 42 hours of sub ops and fired an exercise torpedo and an ASROC shot.

`           On 14 November, DENNIS J. BUCKLEY started for Hong Kong, arriving on the 17th. The following day the ship assumed duties as SOPA ADMIN, Hong Kong, remaining until 2 December. Upon being relieved, the ship executed a quick transit back to Subic Bay to exchange ammunition and refuel, then joined CONSTELLATION and HULL off Hong Kong on 5 December to return to YANKEE Station. As Task Group 77.3, the three ships operated in the Tonkin Gulf until 23 December. DENNIS J. BUCKLEY was detached on 14 December for recovery of a USAF BUMPY ACTION Drone. After recovery, the drone was offloaded at Danang, RVT. The ship rejoined Task Group 77.3 on 15 December, then was detached again - on the 16th to search for a downed aviator. The search continued for three days and nights. DENNIS J. BUCKLEY returned to Subic Bay on the afternoon of 24 December and remained inport through 1 January 1970.


            The Engineering Department ran a four hour full power run on f the night of 3 and 4 February. A two hour full power run on 25 August earned a score of 84%.

            The NTPI held on 27-28 February was awarded a grade of OUTSTANDING. The Administrative Inspection, Predeployment Inspection, Medical Inspection and PMS review, held concurrently on 8 and 9 May, received an overall grade of 92.


            The DENNIS J. BUCKLEY received an AN/SLQ-19(B), data transfer units, and CHAFFROC launchers as part of the SAMID Immediate Package Program. An availability commenced 1 April, with scheduled. completion of the installation 23 April. LT J. P. MAYER, USN, was OINC of the NSMES Detachment charged with the installation while the ship was docked in San Diego. DENNIS J. BUCKLEY became the de facto prototype for the DD-710 Class ships.

            While RCA field engineers installed and tested the new equipment, classroom instruction was held by Vitro Laboratories, manufacturers of the data transfer units linking all stations. This training took place from 8 to 11 April. Dockside on-the-job training was held 15 to 18 April and again during the first week in May. Underway and final dockside checkouts led to certification on 23 May.

            Although no major casualties were experienced with the new equipment, a number of minor problems occurred. The initial ULM-4 test range checkout had to be canceled due to the failure of a coolant pump. Subsequent scheduled ULM-4 range tests on 24 June, 6 August, 27 August, 27 September, 31 October and 24 December all indicated the system was satisfactory. The local/remote switchover relay failed on 16 May, the countermeasures tester oscillator failed on 30 May, and a wave guide switch had to be replaced on 27 August. Other small items included an RF Amp failure on 17 October and bent wave guides, which were the result of storm damage. The main source of trouble continued to be the AN/APR-25 Homing and Warning Set. Initial failure occurred on 24 June due to an inoperative 7 KV power supply. A new Indicator Group with power supply was installed on 24 July. On 10 August another failure occurred, but was repaired by cannibalizing an old indicator unit. The 7 KV power supply failed for the second tine on 30 August and the Azimuth Indicator was turned in to SRF, Subic Bay for repair. A replacement had not been received by the end of the year. A technician (ET1) assigned TEMADD to this ship from SRA Subic Bay primarily for upkeep and repair of the SLQ-19 installation has maintained a high reliability level on the new equipment.





4 JAN -22 JAN           Gunfire Support Republic of Vietnam

31 JAN                        CHOP to First Fleet

12 FEB                        End of WESTPAC Deployment

18 FEB                        Change of Command

9 APR                          Awarded "Battle Efficiency E'I

10 JUL -16 OCT          Regular Shipyard Overhaul, San Francisco Naval Shipyard, Hunter's Point

16 NOV -18 DEC        Underway Refresher Training conducted by Fleet Training Group, San Diego 



            On 1 January 1970, USS DENNIS J. BUCKLEY, under the command of Commander Arthur G. LUSKIN, USN, was located at U.S. Navel Base, Subic Bay, Philippines. The ship, a unit of Destroyer Division 11, in Destroyer Squadron ONE, was moored at Rivera Piers outboard USS PRAIRIE (AD 15). On 2 January the ship was underway, proceeding independently for Naval Gunfire Support Duty off the coast of the Republic of Vietnam.

On 4 January the ship became a unit of TU70.8.9 for a ten day period. During this time BUCKLEY provided gunfire sup- port, expending 2,399 rounds in support of U. S. and RVN Forces. On 22 January the ship WESTPAC assignment and commenced her long voyage homeward toward San Diego, California.

            On 24 January the BUCKLEY arrived in Subic Bay and joined up with USS JOUETT (DLG 29), USS FLOYD B. PARKS (DD 884), and USS HANSON (DD 832), which together formed TU70.0.3. On 25 January TU70.0.3 was underway for San Diego via Guam and Pearl Harbor, OTC was COMDESRON ONE embarked in JOUETT. The four ships navigated the San Bernardino Straits on 26 January and arrived on the morning of the 28th at Guam for a brief refueling stop. Within four hours the four ships were underway again on an easterly course for Pearl Harbor. On 31 January the Task Unit Chopped to Commander First Fleet becoming TU15.9.2. On 1 February USS HUL~ (DD 945) joined the formation. The five vessels moored in Pearl Harbor on 5 February for two days before beginning the final leg of their homeward voyage. On the morning of 12 February BUCKLEY along with other units of TU15.9.2 moored at U.S. Naval Station, San Diego. -

            BUCKLEY as a unit of TUll.0.7 spent the next two months inport for leave and upkeep, commencing with a tender availability with the USS PIEDMONT (AD 17) from 18 February to 27 March. On 18 February, at a formal change of command ceremony, Commander Arthur G. LUSKIN was relieved by Commander James C. FROID, USN, as Commanding Officer of DENNIS J. BUCKLEY. Commander FROID reported on board after having spent a year in Vietnam and a short tour as Commanding Officer on USS HOPEWELL (DD 681), which was decommissioned on 2 January 1970. Commander LUSKIN left after 17 months as Commanding Officer to serve in the Office of the Oceanographer of the Navy.

            On the 9th of April, Rear Admiral Douglas C. PLATE, Commander Cruiser-Destroyer Force, U.S. Pacific Fleet, presented the ship the Battle Efficiency "E", during ceremonies held on board. Also presented were individual awards to the Engineering, Operations, Weapons, and Anti-Submarine Departments for excellence demonstrated during the past competitive year

    Two days of independent ships exercises in the Southern California Local Op-Area on the 14th and 15th of April had other purposes besides training. With full ceremony on the morning of the 15th, the ashes of RADM LOCKHART, USN (ret) and Captain MOELLER, USN (ret) were committed to the deep under a volley of rifle fire. The rest of the month was spent inport San Diego preparing for "Broadway Visit Ship" duties on 1-4 May. During a two day period at Broadway Street Pier, San Diego, over 1,000 - people toured the ship.

            During May and June BUCKLEY assumed duties as school ship for engineering students attached to Training Center, San Diego. On 2, 3, 8, 9, and 11 June the ship was in and out of San Diego Bay providing the practical training for engineering school students. The Annual Dependents Cruise was held on 13 June. With over 200 guests on board, the ship cruised out of San Diego Bay and transited north of the scenic coast of La Jolla, before returning to port late the same afternoon. The rest of the month was spent inport with a tender availability with the USS KLONDIKE (AR 22) lasting until the 7th of July. On 8 July BUCKLEY was underway for San Francisco and a three month overhaul at Hunter's Point Naval Shipyard. The Naval Weapons Station, Concord, Mare Island Annex was the ships first stop after passing under the wide span of the Golden Gate Bridge. All ammunition was off loaded before proceeding to Hunter's Point Naval Shipyard that afternoon.

    On 17 July BUCKLEY entered dry dock at the shipyard, remaining there until 28 August when she was moved to a pier side berth, as her regular overhaul continued. Sea Trials were conducted on 6 and 14 October outside San Francisco Bay. On 16 October the overhaul was completed and after a brief stop at the Concord Naval Weapon Station, Vallejo, California to onload ammunition, the ship proceeded homeward to San Diego.

            BUCKLEY arrived in San Diego on 18 October for a short two day - stay before getting underway for Independent Steaming Exercises on 20 October. On 21 October the ship underwent sonar tests at the Fleet Operation Readiness Accuracy Check Site (FORACS) Range at Wilson Cove, San Clemente Island. The ship was then inport San Diego from 22 October to 16 November with a tender availability with the USS DIXIE (AD-14) from 23 October to 5 November. Six weeks of Refresher Training commenced on 9 November and the ship was in and out of port almost daily as a unit of TU54.l.l until 18 December. During this period Damage Control and Engineering personnel were constantly drilled at casualty exercises in their respective areas. The gunnery personnel conducted shore bombardment on San Clemente Island, and air and surface firings at towed targets. Deck division conducted several underway replenishments with the USS KANSAS CITY (AOR 3). The Anti- Submarine team fired exercise ASROC and torpedoes at the USS SALMON (SS 573). Operations conducted numerous exercises with USS HANSON (DD 832) and USS GRAY (DE 1054). The rest of the year was spent as leave and upkeep inport San Diego with tender availability by USS PRAIRIE (AD 15).


             The Navy Technical Proficiency Inspection (NTPI) held on 25-26 February was awarded a grade of satisfactory. The Annual Supply Inspection (AS I) held on 20 March received a grade of excellent with a numerical grade of 91. The COMCRUDESPAC PMS Inspection was conducted on 23 April receiving Training commenced on 16 November and was completed on 18 December with a numerical grade of 79.


Summary of Operations

            1971 began pierside at the San Diego Naval Station for the ship. BUCKLEY had recently completed a three month yard overhaul period at Hunters Point Naval Shipyard. San Francisco, California, as well as the type commander's r refresher training which follows such overhauls.

            A normal holiday upkeep period lasted through 4 January. The following week was spent making final preparations for a predeployment (to western Pacific) command administrative inspection by Commander, Destroyer Squadron One, Captain J. J. HERZOG, USN. That inspection, lengthy and thorough, ended 19 January with a satisfactory grade.

            Several more inspections took place in the few short weeks left before BUCKLEY's scheduled overseas deployment. The quarterly Commander-Cruiser Destroyer Force Pacific (COMCRUDESPAC) Planned Maintenance System (PMS) inspection as passed on 28 January. And 1-3 FEB was set aside for a Nuclear Weapons Acceptance Inspection (NWAI), held each time a nuclear-capable ship returns from a yard overhaul. That, too, was passed satisfactorily.

            On 5 February, BUCKLEY departed CONUS (Continental United States) enroute to the Western Pacific. A short stop was made in Hawaii where pre-deployment briefings by the office of the Commander in Chief, Pacific Fleet were held. Then BUCKLEY in company with two other DESRON ONE destroyers, USS FLOYD B. PARKS (DD-884) and USS HANSON (DD-832), left for Subic Bay, Republic of the Philippines via Midway Island and Guam for refueling. The trio of warships had smooth sailing as far as Guam. The last leg of the journey, through the San Bernardino Stra1ts, was rough but BUCKLEY and her two companions arrived on 27 February. On 1 March BUCKLEY left (independently) for the coast of the Republic of Vietnam, ready to begin her fifth WestPac deployment with gunfire support duties.

            The "line period" and its events are covered in detail in Annex "A" of this history through the vivid recollections of Commander JAMES C. FROID, as written in his monthly operations summaries to his superiors. They are comprehensive and self explanatory. NOTE: This Annex cannot be found. Attempt was made to ask Captain Froid about this and he couldn't recall the document. Soon after this request was made he passed away.

            On the sixteenth of July the BUCKLEY in company with the USS HANSON departed Subic Bay, her tour of duty completed, destination San Diego, California. The transit home was to be a carbon copy of the February trip in the opposite d ire c t ion. BUCKLEY served as f lag ship for COMDESRON ONE.

            In Guam, BUCKLEY and HAKSON were joined by the FLOYD B. PARKS. Due to bad weather and schedule commitments, Midway was by-passed in favor of a great circle track to Pearl Harbor. The long journey was highlighted by an underway replenishment on the 180th meridian with a fleet oiler on its way to WestPac. The replenishing ship gave what was probably the longest "drink" in all Naval history since, theoretically, the small boys coming alongside were traversing the international date line 24 hours ahead of the oilier. A great circle was also followed to San Diego and the five days couldn't pass quickly enough for the expectant crew.

            On 4 August at 0900, BUCKLEY rounded buoy "ISD" and at 1005 was moored starboard side to quaywall six south, U.S. Naval Station, San Diego, California. The ensuing month was spent in a "stand down" status with the crew working half days while most took some well- deserved leave. The only major work was a change in armament configuration. The SAMID (Ship's Anti-missile Integrated Defense) package was removed from the ASROC deck.

            On 8 Sept., an awards ceremony was held on board BUCKLEY to honor those officers and men who had distinguished them- selves during the WestPac deployment. Annex B to this report is a copy of the brochure used for the ceremony. It lists speakers, the award recipient’s, and their awards.

            On 15 September, CDR JAMES C. FROID brought an 18 month tour on board BUCKLEY to a close when he was formally relieved by CDR HERBERT J. DEAN in ceremonies on the BUCKLEY. CDR FROID saw the ship through an extensive yard overhaul as well as a long deployment to Vietnam. Annex C is a copy of the Change of Command brochure used for the ceremony.

            And on 28 September, CAPT. J. J. HERZOG, Commander, Destroyer Squadron ONE, was relieved by CAPT. ROBERT B. MC CLINTON, USN onboard BUCKLEY. Annex D is a copy of the brochure used for that ceremony. On 30 September, with the return of the USS HULL (DD-945) from WestPac, CDS 1 hauled down his flag and broke it in USS HULL (DD-945). Thus, almost two months as flagship came to an end for the BUCKLEY.

            On 12 October, BUCKLEY left San Diego for San Clemente Island to begin requalification exercises in Naval Gun- fire Support. On 14 October, following rearming at the Naval Weapons Station, Seal Beach, California, the ship once more sailed into San Diego Bay. Again on 18 October BUCKLEY ventured forth. This time qualifying in anti-air maneuvering and gunnery. Upon completion of the exercises the ship set a course for San Francisco and Treasure Island Naval Base. Her intentions were to spend five days of "R&R" before accompanying the USS HANCOCK (CVA-l9) as plane guard station ship. Clear skies and calm s-e-as accompanied the ship north. The Golden- Gate Bridge was in sight at 1100, 22 October, when the routine transit took on an eventful air. Standing in ahead of BUCKLEY was the "BENNY SKOU~' a Danish freighter. The merchantman suddenly developed a severe starboard list and she veered sharply to the right of the approach channel, dangerously near the rocky coast. BUCKLEY radioed for help and then proceed to the stricken freighter's port side and took off fourteen crew members (including two women) before a Coast Guard Cutter and an air cushion vehicle arrived to take charge of the crew and stricken ship. The professionalism and dispatch with which the crew of the BUCKLEY handled the emergency in the restricted waters outside San Francisco Bay was exemplary and in the finest Naval tradition.

            Following five short days of liberty in San Francisco, BUCKLEY followed HANCOCK south. Her plane guard duties lasted from 27 October through 4 November. While alongside HANCOCK for "leapfrog" drills, BUCKLEY received the compliments of the carrier's skipper for being: " The best and smartest looking destroyer alongside I have ever seen."

            After a leave and upkeep period through 29 November, BUCKLEY began the first of two week-long periods as ASW school ship. The weeks of 29 Nov -2 Dec and 13-16 DEC were ~ spent qualifying prospective ASW officers in the many aspects of anti-sub operations. It was also a period of extensive junior officer training, BUCKLEY providing 'valuable pract1ce --'-', in man overboard, leapfrog and other drills, geared to teach the new officer the fine points of ship handling.

            From 17 December through the end of 1971, BUCKLEY was again fortunate, as in the previous year, to be able to give her crew maximum leave and liberty during the holiday season.


Command Organization


















Summary of Operations


            The first of January again found Dennis J. BUCKLEY alongside Quaywall North 8 at the San Diego Naval Station, resting after the holidays and readying for another trip.

            BUCKLEY was underway in a dense fog on 10 January, beginning a series of General Quarters and Damage Control Drills enroute to anti-aircraft firing practice. On the 11th, more refresher drill were held including underway replenishment, ASW events, and a COMTUEX. This continued until 14 January when BUCKLEY eased herself into Quaywall North 8 again.

    After completing repairs during the next week, BUCKLEY was underway and steaming independently for the Southern California Operation Area on 24 January. The next few days were spent on the gunfire range in special exercises readying the gun crews for combat.

            BUCKLEY moored to pier 2 on 27 January and, after a few days of normal routine, snuggled into a berth with the USS PRAIRIE (AD-15) at Pier 3 for tender availability.

            After three weeks of repairs BUCKLEY slipped out of PRAIRIE's clutches and settled briefly against Quaywall South 6.

            She was again underway independently on 6 March, testing the ship with engineering drills enroute to Wilson Cove, San Clemente Island for More GQ drills and an economy run as well as a plane guard mission for TICONDEROGA on 8 March helped prepare the crew for deployment. The next two days involved another COMEX event, ASW Operations, and more firing exercises.

            From 10 March through the first week of April the BUCKLEY continued its normal pier side routine at Quaywall South 6.

            Then, on 7 April, the ship was notified of the decision to deploy her to WESTPAC over two months early in response to the North Vietnamese invasion of the South. With three days underway on 10 April enroute to Pearl Harbor and the first step toward the Western Pacific.

            The USS. MCCAIN (DDG-36) and USS HANSON (DD-832) accompanied _BUCKLEY enroute.

            After short stops at Pearl Harbor and Guam on 15 April and 23 April respectively, BUCKLEY arrived in Subic Bay, Republic of the Philippines for a final check up before hitting the action. The entire trans-Pacific journey was relatively smooth sailing and the three ships had little difficulty.

            BUCKLEY left Subic Bay independently on 28 April bound for the east coast of the Republic of Vietnam and her sixth WESTPAC deployment. For the first month the ship had gunfire support duties until 29 May when she was requested for (shotgun-AAW Picket Escort) operations with STERETT (DLG-3l), followed by plane guard duties for two days with KITTY HAWK (CVA-63). On 4 June, gunfire support was resumed followed by another two days of CVA plane guard duties on 11-12 June with CORAL SEA (CVA-43).

            The crew eagerly put their feet on solid land for the first time in over forty days of combat missions when BUCKLEY moored alongside PIEDMONT (AD-I7) in Subic Bay on 13 June. A week of welcome rest and repairs lasted until 20 June when BUCKLEY again headed to the gun line off Vietnam.

            From 21 June through 24 July BUCKLEY again provided gunfire support off the coast of the Republic of Vietnam. The ships of gunline continued their harassment and interdiction support, steaming at 4 knots a few miles off the coast with little more than brief underway replenishments to break the routine.

            Finally BUCKLEY received a much deserved respite as she steamed for Singapore on 25 July, to arrive on the 28th for a week of rest and relaxation for the crew.

            BUCKLEY steamed reluctantly from Sembawang Shipyard, Singapore and the first real liberty port of the deployment on 5 August. Soon the gunfire support routine was again in effect from 7 August to 7 September, this period again spent - on the west coast of Vietnam in the Gulf of Thailand.

            The 10th and 11th of September provided a distraction for BUCKLEY when she was requested for rendezvous with MIDWAY (CVA-41). After escorting MIDWAY to Subic Bay, BUCKLEY and her crew received a week of Upkeep and liberty until 20 September when the gunline once again beckoned.

            This time, however, the gunline period was relatively brief. On 30 September BUCKLEY headed north for special operations in the Gulf of Tonkin for 10 days.

            The crew eagerly enjoyed liberty in Hong Kong from 14 to 20 October. Loved-ones were flown over by charter flight and all celebrated the end of the WESTPAC deployment. Only the trip home remained. .

            BUCKLEY put into Subic Bay for a few days to unload ammunition and ready for the long trip home. On 23 October she departed, along with HULL (DD-943) and HANSON (DD-832) winding through the Philippine Islands and the San Bernardino Straits. Hitting open water and heading east, the weather began to turn rough. In Guam on the 26th, it was decided to continue to Pearl Harbor bypassing the intended stopover at Midway Island due to the typhoon in the vicinity. Storm evasion was effective and despite heavy seas and empty stomachs all reached Pearl Harbor on 3 November without incident.

            The next morning BUCKLEY and HANSON set out for San Diego, having sent HULL ahead by 10 hours. HULL was overtaken gradually, and by 0700, 10 November BUCKLEY was outside Buoy l-SD and ready to lead HANSON and HULL the last few miles into homeport. At 1002 BUCKLEY was moored portside to Quaywall North S, U. S. Naval Station, San Diego amidst music, balloons, and general elation as a wearisome but very successful WESTPAC deployment carne to an end.

            Seven months exactly had elapsed since DDSOS had last touched pierside in California. The resultant stand down period was well-deserved and fortunately led directly into the Christmas holidays. The crew enjoyed maximum liberty and leave for the remainder of the- year.

Chronology of Highlights of Deployment

10 April Underway en route WESTPAC 
23 April Arrive/Depart Guam 
26 April  Arrive Subic
28 April Depart Subic
29 April -27 May  NGFS Run 
29 May -1 June MIDSAR Escort
2-3 June CVA Escort 
4-10 June NGFS Run
11-12 June CVA Escort 
13 June Arrive Subic
20 June Depart Subic 
21 June -24 July NGFS Run 
28 July Arrive Singapore 
5 August Depart Singapore 
7 August -7 September NGFS Run
10-11 September CVA Escort 
12 September Arrive Subic
20 September Depart Subic 
21 September -30 September NGFS Run
14 October Arrive Hong Kong 
20 October Depart Hong Kong 
21 October Arrive Subic 
23 October Depart Subic 
26 October  Arrive/Depart Guam 
3 November Arrive Pearl Harbor
4 November Depart Pearl Harbor
10 November Arrive San Diego

Summary of Action

USS DENNIS J. BUCKLEY (DD-808) WESTPAC 23 April to 29 October 1972

            Principal Assignments:

            NGFS RVN 29 APR -27 MAY, 4 JUN -10 JUN, 7 AUG -7 SEP, 21 SEP -30 SEP

            MIDSAR ESCORT 29 MAY -1 JUN

            CVA ESCORT 2 JUN -3 JUN, 11 JUN '- 12 JUN, 10 SEP -11 SEP

            SPECOPS TONKIN -1 OCT -11 OCT

Principal activities for which award recommended:

            BUCKLEY deployed with 72 hours notice eleven weeks early with the first group of ships to answer the North Vietnamese invasion of the Republic of Vietnam. Operating in direct support of COMSEVENTHFLT objectives~ the ship performed rescue and escort duties on Yankee Station and MIDSAR, provided NGFS from the D~2 to the Gulf of Thailand, and performed NGF against North Vietnam. Each demanding assignment, with routine extended periods at sea and minimum upkeep time, was carried out with expertise and dedication.

            BUCKLEY's 26-year old engineering plant sustained the requirements of varied operations, demanding the utmost of her engineers to meet the relative lack of outside repair and maintenance assistance.

            Whether assigned to escort or NGFS, CIC and Communications personnel insured accurate and timely command and control. The Electronics Technicians, in spite of the long sea periods, maintained the ship's electronic suit in an outstanding manner.

            The Supply Department consistently met the extremely demanding requirements for service and spare parts to maintain the sustained operational schedule.

            Of 156 days spent at sea in ~~STPAC, 109 were spent providing NGFS to the Republic of Vietnam and 12 providing NGF against North Vietnam. BUCKLEY's guns and weapons control teams delivered 13,000 rounds of 5"/38 ammunition in support of AR\7N objectives in Military Regions I and IV, and against targets in North Vietnam. In 117 observed missions of over 200 conducted, BUCKLEY accounted for 6 probable KIA'S,' 40 secondary explosions and numerous sustained fires, 15 WBLC's damaged or destroyed, and over 210 military structures damaged or destroyed. On four separate occasions; 1 May, 8 June, 26 June, and 11 October BUCKLEY was exposed to hostile fire, in one instance receiving minor shrapnel damage in the superstructure from 100mm enemy guns.

            An indication of the level of performance and teamwork can be provided by quoting the following CTG 75.9 (CTU 70.8.9) message received 9 June 1972: "Your performance yesterday and the night of 8-9 June was outstanding. The variety of missions you undertook without an abort-- including filling for others--was astonishing. Interdiction and direct support fire for advancing friendly troops, SAR, HIFR, and destruct fire above the DMZ as a lonely end all made for a day of great accomplishment. Your prompt and effective responses to changing targets and missions are greatly appreciated. Well Done. II

            The high state of readiness and professionalism demonstrated by BUCKLEY is directly attributable to the dedicated efforts, dogged determination, and superior skill and perseverance of her crew





Albert H. Mitchell, LCDR

Charles F. Ditto, LT

Charles H. Walker, LT

Jeffrey S. Burnett, LT

Tommy E. Wauters, LTJG

Robert J. Paulsen, Jr., LTJG

Paul E. Crow, LTJG

Van R. Cooper, LTJG ,'! t -

Theodore J. Vega, LTJG

Reuben O. Harris, ENS

Paul J. Olszewski, ENS

William S. Ahrens, ENS

Denis M. Guillot, ENS

Stephen L. Neuman, ENS


            USS DENNIS J. BUCKLEY began 1973 moored securely to Quaywall Eight North, Naval Station, San Diego, California. Rumors were running rampant to the effect that BUCKLEY would be decommissioned within the next few months. However, no official word substantiated the rumor, and soon BUCKLEY was hit with several inspections, beginning with Planned Maintenance Sub-System (PMS) on January 11-12. After hesitantly passing the first hurdle, the Annual Supply Inspection (ASI) was taken in stride with flying colors on 26 February.

On 14 February Commander Vernon R. Bussard, Jr., USN, relieved Commander Herbert J. Dean as commanding officer of BUCKLEY. CDR Dean left after 18 months of command to proceed to staff duties in Carrier Division ONE, North Island Naval Air Station, San Diego. CDR Bussard reported to BUCKLEY from staff duties with Chief U. S/Naval Advisory Group, U. S. Military Assistance Command, Vietnam.

            Shortly after the change of command, DENNIS J. BUCKLEY reached her 28th birthday, on March 2, 1973. A short cake-cutting ceremony followed by a picnic at Admiral Baker Field in San Diego created a very enjoyable celebration.

            Much of the month of March was spent readying for the impending Sub-Board of Inspection and Survey (INSURV) inspection. This involved considerable time and effort for all hands, repairing shipboard defects and itemizing and classifying all discrepancies. From 21-23 March, BUCKLEY was meticulously scrutinized by the inspection party. General laudatory comments were made as to the ship's cleanliness and obvious preparations.

Shortly after the INSURV inspection, however, BUCKLEY received word that she was no longer an operational ship of the U. S. THIRD Fleet. In spite of the care given her by the crew, BUCKLEY had several structural problems from age and hard work, and the INSURV Board had forwarded their recommendation to inactivate Dennis J. BUCKLEY.

            On 27 April the Secretary of the Navy approved the deactivation of BUCKLEY in a letter to the Chief of Naval Operations. She was tentatively scheduled for decommissioning on 2 July. LCDR Albert H. Mitchell, Jr., USN relieved CDR Vernon R. Bussard, Jr. USN as commanding officer of BUCKLEY on 27 April 1973. CDR Bussard reported for duty as commanding officer of USS TULARE (LKA-112). LCDR Mitchell would be the final commanding officer of USS DENNIS J. BUCKLEY (DD-808).

            After the change of command, one of LCDR Mitchell's first duties was to receive-the Meritorious Unit Commendation on behalf of BUCKLEY and her crew for their gallant efforts during the 1972 WESTPAC deployment (see Command History, 1972)

            May and June were spent largely in alternate periods wait1ng for official direction to inactivate followed by fast paced off-loading of huge quantities of stores and equipment upon receipt of that official direction. In spite of the morale problem obviously associated with a slowly dying ship, the BUCKLEY crew once again proved itself by continually accomplishing tasks expeditiously without prior knowledge of "how" or "when" these tasks should be done.

            With a dwindling crew, BUCKLEY was stripped of valuable equipment in preparation for scrapping. One week prior to the decommissioning, the ship was clean and ready for transfer to Inactive Ships.  The final inspection was held on Wednesday, 27 June, at which time BUCKLEY was approved for transfer to INACTSHIPS. '

            On 2 July 1973 at 1000, USS DENNIS J. BUCKLEY (DD-808) ended its  valiant service in the defense of the United States of America in a solemn occasion at Quaywall North 8, Naval Station, San Diego, California. "Experto Credite", her motto, is truly appropriate.

On 2 July 1973 the USS Dennis J. Buckley was decommissioned and stricken from Naval Vessel Register and custody accepted by Navel Inactive Ship Maintenance Facility San Diego.

On  29 April 1974 the Buckley was sold to Levin Metals Corp. for $314,699.00

The Buckley arrived in Richmond California under tow from San Diego 27 May 1974. They started scrapping her on 3 July 1974. 



            Born in Marietta, Georgia on 21 December 1939, Lieutenant Commander Mitchell is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Albert Hoyt Mitchell, Sr. of Macon, Georgia. He enrolled in September 1959 in the Naval Reserve Officer Training Corp at Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama. Upon graduation in 1963, he received a BS degree and was commissioned an Ensign. Lieutenant Commander ~ Mitchell was promoted to his present rank on 1 July 1971.

            Upon graduation from Auburn University, he served at the Naval Air Basic Training Command and on the USS HIGBEE (DD-806). After attending the U.S. Naval Destroyer School he served for three years aboard USS ZELLARS (DD-777). From September 1968 to March 1971, Lieutenant Commander Mitchell attended the Naval Postgraduate School at Monterey, California.

            Upon graduation in 1971, he received a Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering. Prior to reporting to USS DENNIS J. BUCKLEY (DD-808), as Executive Officer, Lieutenant Commander Mitchell served as Engineering Officer on the USS TRIPOLI (LPH-1O). He has had command of BUCKLEY since April of this year.

            Lieutenant Commander Mitchell is married to the former Penelope Lynne Hampton of Glenview, Illinois. The Mitchell's and their daughter Michele reside in San Diego, California